Your privacy is critically important to us. At smart360, we have a few fundamental principles:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what information on your repository is shared publicly (or kept private), indexed by search engines, and permanently deleted.
- We help protect you from overreaching government demands for your personal information.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information - in short: we do not share unless you allow us to.
Who We Are and What This Policy Covers
Howdy! We are the folks behind a variety of products and services designed to allow anyone–from Enterprise Architects, to data scientists, IT Managers, and enterprises–to build and manage a data repository to share within an organization or with the world. Our mission is to organize data and make it accessible and valuable - either internally of an organization or for distributed teams or for the public.
- Our websites (including smart360.me, smart360.us, smart360.biz, smart360biz.com, and subdomains);
- Other products and services that are available on or through our websites (including smart360, smartEA and smartVIZ plans).
Below we explain how we collect, use, and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information.
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better.
We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Information You Provide to Us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, we require individuals who sign up for a smart360.biz/.us/.me account to provide a name, a username and email address – and that’s it. You may provide us with more information – like your organization – but we don’t require that information to create your account.
- Your Profile Information: If you have an account with us, we collect the information that you provide for your profile. For example, if you have a smart360.biz account, your username is part of that profile, along with any other information you put into your profile. Your profile is not public unless you share it – so please keep that in mind when deciding what information you put there.
- Transaction and Billing Information: If you buy something from us – a subscription to a Service plan – you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information, and contact information.
- Content Information: Depending on the Services you use, you may also provide us with information about you in the repository. For example, if you enter data that includes biographic information about you, we will have that information, and so will anyone with access to the repository, if you choose to share access to the repository. This might be obvious to you…but it’s not to everyone!
- Credentials: Depending on the Services you use, you may provide us with credentials for your integrations (like SSH, FTP or SAAS username and password).
- Communications with Us (Hi There!): You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, communicate with our Happiness Engineers about a support question, or post a question in a public forum.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Services – for example, when you create or make changes to your repository on smart360.biz/.us/.me.
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about the actions that site administrators and users perform on a site–in other words, who did what, when and to what thing on a site (e.g., [smart360.biz username] deleted “[title of element]” at [time/date]). We also collect information about what happens when you use our Services (e.g., page views, support document searches, button clicks) along with information about your device (e.g., mobile screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions..
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you create or log into your smart360.biz account through another service (like Corporate SSO/SAML), we will receive information from that service (such as your username, basic profile information, and group list) via the authorization procedures used by that service. The information we receive depends on which services you authorize and any options that are available.
We may also get information from third party services about individuals who are not yet our users (…but we hope will be!), which we may use, for example, for marketing and advertising purposes.
How We Use Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and as follows:
- To provide our Services–for example, to set up and maintain your account, host your repositories, backup and restore your repositories, or charge you for any of our paid Services;
- To further develop our Services–for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or will help them to create and manage their repositories more efficiently;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To monitor and protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of smart360 and others;
- To communicate with you about offers and promotions offered by smart360 and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on smart360 and our products; and
- To personalize your experience using our Services, provide content recommendations and serve relevant advertisements.
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users’ private personal information.
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information) and those that help us understand and enhance our Services (like analytics providers). We require vendors to agree to privacy commitments in order to share information with them.
- As Required by Law: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights and Property: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of smart360, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so, such as the services that you connect to your repository.
- Aggregated and De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Services.
- Other Site Owners: If you have a smart360.biz account and leave a comment on a site that uses our Services, your username may be shared with the administrator(s) of the site where you left the comment.
- Published Support Requests: And if you send us a request (for example, via a support email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is–you guessed it–disclosed publicly. That means, of course, that information like your public profile, posts, other content that you make public on your repository, and your activities on other repositories that use our Services, are all available to others. Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties. Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so. To enhance the security of your account, we encourage you to use strong passwords.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, profile information, and transaction and billing information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our Services – for example, paid plans – may not be accessible.
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of promotional messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: At this time, smart360 does not respond to “do not track” signals across all of our Services. However, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using smart360’s websites, with the drawback that certain features of smart360’s websites may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
Other Things You Should Know (Keep Reading!)
smart360 is a worldwide service. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer, and storage of information in and to the U.S. and the EU, which may have rights and protections that are different from those in your home country. We try to keep your data in the EU if you are located in the EU and in the US otherwise.
Ads and Analytics Services Provided by Others
Third Party Software
If you’d like to use third party software like integrations with our Services, please keep in mind that when you interact with them you may provide information about yourself to those third parties. We don’t own or control these third parties and they have their own rules about collection, use and sharing of information. You should review their rules and policies when installing and using third party software.
One More Thing: This Policy Is Available Under a Creative Commons Sharealike License
- November 20, 2020: Revised domains to include smart360.me, smart360.us and their accounts.
- February 27, 2018: Revised and reorganized language throughout to help simplify the policy and clarify our practices.